Saturday, June 13, 2009

Shopping Mystery Dinner


The Story:
After a week of surgery, a baptism, guests, and the mess that follows hostessing, we haven't much energy or imagination for fancy dinners. Yet, my crew still needs something out of the ordinary to break our monotony. I called them into the kitchen, gave them each $4.00, and drove to the store. Each picked out their own contribution to dinner. I wondered if we would dine on Trix and ice cream tonight. But if so, that was O.K. I wanted to stretch my little ones independence and give them the ultimate in choices.

We met at the front and purchased the goods. I admit, I went a bit over on my purchase... $4.87 for shrimp, but everyone else was under, so I feel o.k. about it.


At home, each person made their own dish to offer the family. Each item told a lot about the person who picked it. Meat loving Briz picked Maple Sausage and cooked it for us plain it patties. I always want to feel treated, so I made bacon wrapped shrimp with cocktail sauce. Ladybug is always concerned about health and brought home a cantaloupe.

Little Mother picked ice cream sandwiches, and our ever drinking Sunshine picked a frozen concentrate to mix with a carbonated beverage. Smiles of pride accompanied each meal donor as they offered the family their portion of the feast.

"This is a really good dinner." Ladybug commented, "but I guess it shows that everyone likes different things."

The Recipe:

Bacon Wrapped Shrimp
jumbo uncooked shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 pound uncooked bacon, cut into thirds
toothpicks
Wrap bacon around each shrimp, closing with a toothpick.

Broil for 3-4 minutes then turn. Broil for 3-4 more minutes. Serve with your favorite cocktail sauce. (Mine is Bookbinders). Simply Heaven!

2 comments:

  1. I have tried your shrimp before- yummy! We really like shrimp at out house- haven't tried the cocktail sauce (will look for it).
    I have done this on dates back in college, never thought to do it with my family- Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't mean to say we eat them in our outhouse. Silly me- we like them at "our" house.

    ReplyDelete